Learn how the GEARBOX works
The Gearbox is an interactive puzzle kit to help learn and better understand the working and principles of a 4- speed manual Gearbox.
A mechanical gearbox is a reducer that provides speed and torque conversions from a motor to the driving wheels.
After assembly, you can experiment with the Ugears manual Gearbox, by turns, choose I, II, III, or reverse with a kinematic pair of gears with different ratios and, rotating the actuator handle clock-wise, you can watch and control the rotation speed of the layshaft and drive shaft. In the Position “N” – idle in which both clutch gears of layshaft remain uncoupled and idling; the First Gear makes the layshaft and gears rotate with the lowest speed; the Second Gear lets the drive shaft along with the flywheel rotate with an average speed and the Third Gear allows the layshaft and all gears rotate with the highest speed. Switch on the Reverse gear and see how the driving clutch gear moves to the left towards gear “R” and connects to it transferring the rotation to the lower gear arrangement and propelling the layshaft and all gears to rotate in reverse.
When and who invented it
The invention of the gearbox belongs to the famous German engineer Karl Benz.
A gearbox is mainly used in the automobile industry as a part of the car transmission mechanism that transfers torque from the engine’s shaft to the wheels.
The Gearbox is developed to serve as a learning tool not just a puzzle.
Just like the rest of Ugear’s collections, putting STEM-lab models together is fun and comprehensive: everything you need to build, learn and discover comes in a box. There you will find:
- High-quality wooden boards with pre-cut details and other standard supplies. Assembly requires no glue or additional tools. The details come out of the boards with a slight push.
- Detailed step-by-step colour instruction manual. Easy to follow – easy to learn.
- Examples and suggestions for your fun hands-on projects.
- QR-code to Pocket Model’s Study Guide (the Gearbox Essentials with description of the mechanism, principle of working, main characteristics, definitions, and formulas).
- QR-code to Ugears AR Application. New exciting feature from Ugears to make your learning experience even more fascinating!
UGEARS STEM LAB GEARBOX
Model Size: 13*10*11 cm
Number of components: 120
Estimated time of assembly: 1-2 hour
Assemble it and discover the principle of a 4-speed Manual Gearbox.
- Experiment: the model comes with a QR Code to download an interactive Pocket Model Study Guide which includes engaging and interesting tasks to learn more and understand the principles of how a Gearbox works.
Immerse yourself in Augmented Reality (AR), find out how the Gearbox is used in a car, and interact with it via the dedicated Ugears AR-application.
The mechanism of the Gearbox is composed of:
- Gear shifting lever
- Layshaft with gear couplings
- Reverse idle gear bearing
- Drive shaft
- Actuator handle